Having an injured pet in the house is the worst nightmare of a pet owner. During this emergency the very first thing that comes in mind is to give comfort to the pet. But keep this in mind that if the pet has a serious injury then more than likely a slight touch can scare and confuse him. Hence, it is important that pet owners ensure that they do not unknowingly make their pets suffer which can result in their furry friends turning violent leading to a bite or scratch on the pet owner.
During such situation, it is best to follow these emergency tips given below:
- Remember that during injuries, even the gentlest of pets can bite or scratch you. Pain and fear in their minds can make them do the unthinkable, which can sometimes be quite dangerous for the pet owner. Hence, never hug the pet while he is undergoing injury. The best bet is to stay away from him. Also ensure that your face is away from their mouth. Trying to get too close to the pet will only make them feel scarier and increase their pain.
- Gently scrutinize the level of injury suffered by the pet. If during the process, the pet becomes agitated, stop it right away. If you need to move the pet do so very carefully so that the pet does not feel offended. If your pet gets aggressive then the best thing would be to leave him alone until you get some outside help.
- Contact your veterinarian and let them know about the condition of the pet. If in case, you cannot get in touch with the veterinarian; dial emergency veterinarian clinic before taking any further action. Ask the veterinarian about the various things that you need to care about while dealing with the injury of the pet.
- If the pet is not vomiting, the best thing would be to muzzle him to avoid any chances of being bitten by him. If you do not have a muzzle in the house, it is recommended to utilize stockings, towels or gauze rolls in case you have a dog. For cats and other smaller animals you can use a towel to restrain them. Always ensure that the pet has enough room to breathe once you restrain them.
- Before taking the pet to the veterinarian, stabilize their injury by bandaging or splinting them. If the pet turns aggressive the best possible option is to give him the space and wait for further instruction from the veterinarian.
- While moving your injured pet to the veterinarian; keep him in a confined place, preferably a small place so that there are no chances of further injuries. It is recommended to either use a pet carrier or a box/container.
- Always have the first aid box at your disposal containing pet carriers, bandages, muzzles, along with the veterinarian’s contact details. When you have these things with you all the time, it becomes lot easier to deal with the emergency.
Once you follow these steps religiously during an emergency, it would be much easier for you to take care of the pet. The key to dealing with such situations is to understand the threat that during injuries all pets can bite and scratch even if they are the gentlest. Hopefully, you will never face any pet emergency issue, but in case if you have to deal with the situation, it is better to be prepared than to be sorry later!!
During my tenure at VetSupply I came across various pet problems and having a pet myself helped in understanding the predicament when your pet is suffering from an injury and you need to take care of them in this torrid time. Hence, in this write-up, I have utilized all the prior experience and have shared certain emergency tips that will not only assist pet owners in keeping the injury of their pet in check but also assist pet owners to take care of themselves during such circumstances.